AccueilPortailCalendrierGalerieFAQRechercherMembresGroupesS'enregistrerConnexion

Partagez | 

What's happening on video games creativity?

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
L'autre

MessageSujet: What's happening on video games creativity?   Sam 15 Sep - 18:22

Hi every one,

today has been anonnced the new Wii U out, and I've been very surprised to see that there is no game annonced with this new console.
I mean there are games, but they are all sequels and new ones are jsut so far from what creativity was in the 80's and early 90 's.
I remember games like Metroid, Shinobi, R-Type, Mario, Zelda, Lemings, Flashback, Street of rage, Golden Axe, Alex Kid, Sonic, Final Fantasy, Star Fox, Street Fighter... that where all new univers.

Yes there had been game those last years, like Doom, Fear, Silent Hill, Kojima's games, Team Ico's games. And I'm very sad for not being able to find some actual games taht are not made just to express violence or to shut down brains' gamers.

That's certainly why i'm no longer a gamers thoose last years. I know hta actual gamers would give me a thousands reasons to disallow my oppinion, but I would say that if a game need to be palyed to like it, it means to me that the game is just a magic mechanics, that capture people like mermaids. When I was young I didn't need to play a game to like it, I already knew by the cover which games I will like, and today I just see complexity and persistant world games (that prevent people from inerself reflexion long period. With those gmaes ou still intellectualize things, but you don't see that your reflexion is limited by games, and after one years, gamers certainly spent all theyr time on playing, and in a way, this som ekind of emotional onanism, and people fall into they feelings, and it can be a modern reading of the Narcissus myth.) and those games don't open my mind like they did before.

Maybe I'm wrong because I'm very hard to please, I don't know, and I realy like to know your point of view!^^

--

MessageSujet: Re: What's happening on video games creativity?   Sam 15 Sep - 19:22

Sadly,I kinda think the same.
Video games are most likely dead since 5-10 years.
In our day it's always the same concept for each kind of game,the " magic " isn't happening anymore :/
But there are still some "little" games from independant studios which are a blessing for players.
I immediatly think of games like " journey" on PS3 , "Flower" from the same studio,those are games I can't really define that's the kind of game you have to play to live the adventure.
For example, in " Journey",no dialogues,no lifebar,no combos,no levelling up ,this is really a game that each (true)video games lover must play.
This leads to another debate,uniformisation (okay some of you will say ' damn Seppun still with that uniformisation thing ').
Yeah,that again.
People are being taken for dumbasses without 'em noticing it,how sad.( remember the apple discussion in the other thread?)

Gimme mah vidya back !

MessageSujet: Re: What's happening on video games creativity?   Sam 15 Sep - 20:39

Personaly I'm not that sad, but I'm a bit worried about the fact that game designers who had good ideas
seems to have more difficulties to produice it than before, certainly because of this gigantic video game production.

I heard about Journey, that the kind of game I like, where you can explore landscape and I should test it one day.
Those last 10 years I played Doom3, Fear, Lost Planet, ZOE and MGS but the best one was certainly Penumbra,
this last one is a fantastic games. And for this kind of game, I can find the time to play.

-

MessageSujet: Re: What's happening on video games creativity?   Dim 16 Sep - 4:21

I do not know if it's a lack of creativity. I think it is rather a story request (if I just say it like that). I explain two example my point of view was confirmed by a friend who works in a shopping district of Republic Paris.
Watch the success of Call of Dutty games, as the players they will ask. It is going to eat for a long time! Even if nothings really changes the game in system
Now remember Mirror's Edge. A game called revolutionary by the specialized press. Despite of that the game is not as sold, so there will be no result.
They do not want investire in a game that is not sure what to sell, eventually taking risks!!

I find it a shame that companies like Square Enix has come to the games that brings productions success. Lately they way we clone Vice City called Sleeping Dogs. Final Fantasy does not really recipe ...
We Namco released a new Ridge Racer is neither more nor less than a réausser Burn Out is priced nouvauté éculer for ages: the destruction of furniture (ouaiiiis). But we must follow suit, they no longer want to take risk with real novelty or oldschool.

Yes the video game declines. It is not a lack of creativity, but a history of "great value" not to mention money.

I have a lot to say about the video game of the present time.
Short game with a life like that on quests Annex (Batman Arkam asylum / Arkam city). RPG where you are in an endless corridor with insipid fighting (FF XIII) yes I hate the combat system of Final Fantasy XIII. Where is my FF VI!!
Game where you play the same thing has always relentlessly but with some small change (COD, Gran Turismo)
The worst is that Gran Turismo 5 has it's the same test in GT4 and 3, really incredible. Rally mode is completely missing and conduct existing drift but without a single event (excluding online mode) ... and I like Gran Turismo.

Anyway, I must be really tired ...

Si un jour on te reproche que ton travail n'est pas parfait, dis-toi que l'Arche de Noé a été construite par des amateurs et le Titanic par des professionnels.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
ogami
--

MessageSujet: Re: What's happening on video games creativity?   Lun 17 Sep - 12:23

I don't think so that it is a lack of creativity, more the consequences of an industry that have to make more and more profits. Like many other. It's the same for Cinema or such other industries...
Unfortunately, the solution to get more profits is not especially innovating... Video games are pretty expansive so many gamers will choose games that are sequels or "blue chip"... It's like a "vicious circle"... more people will buy such games, less editors will take risks to make games with innovating concepts... Sad

It's refreshing to see some amazing games like "Journey" that are also very beautiful... It's also nice to see that some indie games are also very nice. But some are not, I mean that they are good indies games but some of them are not more original than a "blockbuster" and some times are graphically hideous...
I will surely buy Okami HD... Not that I want to help Capcom to make "easy-money" (see below with the comment on DLC) but because I loved this game and I will enjoy to replay it simply with better graphics on a better screen...

A thing that really makes me upset with recent games are the DLCs, especially with Capcom and many editors now that are planning make paying DLC for most of the games now. Many of them are planned and sold before that the games are released... It's really a way to make people pay more and more ! For some games the price of all the DLCs is higher than the price of the game itself !

On the other hand, I would also say that I had a lot of fun with "recent" games, not very original for some of them, but very well finished, like the Uncharted, Gof of War, ... etc...
I did appreciate also a lot of other games during the last 5 years... Here are randomly some tittles : Assassin creed(1+2), Dead Space (1+2), Bioshock, Mass Effect (1+2), the Witcher 2, Mirror's Edge, Resident Evil 4+5 (No shame to say that I liked these game ! LOL ) Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Batman AC, Torchlight, Darksiders, Sonic Generation, Bayonetta, SSFIV, Rayman Origins, and so much more... I had a lot of fun playing all these games that are relatively recent (and I totally assume it).

I would not say that some older games were better on the contrary ! Some were also very bad and over-rated !
What I don't like with nostalgia is that sometimes, nostalgic people are loving old school games or retro-gaming not because of the game itself but for the memory of it... that's something very different ! It's not because I loved some old games on Megadrive or Super NES at the time that I played to them that I would like to play to them today... I enjoyed replaying to some old games on emulator or original consoles, but many of them really disappointed me... Tastes are also evolving with time and in a different way for different people...

There is a very large choice of games for everyone today so... I don't know if in the future it will be better or worse but I would like to stay optimistic and take the better of what will come... If I will be bored I will not play but if I like, I will not have any complex to play new games ! Wink

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://ogamitaicho.deviantart.com
L'autre

MessageSujet: Re: What's happening on video games creativity?   Dim 23 Sep - 1:53

Maybe it's a problem of maturity too.^^'
Gamers like me we are no longer teenage, and to me, videogames are still made for chilldren and teens.
And about old games, it wa funy twenty years ago, but I know that I won't play those games anymore, because I can't no longer find myself inside.
A game Like Heavy rains his the kind of games taht could became good enough, but they could have chosen a more sexy environement, like Cyberpunk post apocalypse, there it would be perfect!
And I'm sure we are a lot waiting for this kind of game! (to me Fallout 3 or Rage completely failed.)

----

MessageSujet: Re: What's happening on video games creativity?   Lun 24 Sep - 23:27

Well, I feel the same as you on most of what you said, but I must disagree on some points.

I'm currently playing Borderlands 2. The first one dared using a strong graphic design, very "drawn" style of texture, lot of second degree, etc. And the second one seems as good, even better maybe. Portal franchise was very enjoyable too.

I had this argument earlyer with a co-worker, football enthusiast. We was all glowing about the new Fifa coming out next. Then I asked why bother buying a new game when a simple patch could fix the swaping players issues. He told me that it was completely different games, because they move players from one team to another. I tried to explain how dumb that answer was, but let it go after few minutes. So that's it. As long as there's gonna be buyers, why bother trying something new, original or balls-y ?

Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: What's happening on video games creativity?   

What's happening on video games creativity?
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1